Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Easy Peasy Weekly Recipe #13

It's Wednesday!
 

Time for this week's installment of Christie's Easy Peasy Weekly Recipes!


 Sweet & Saucy Brussel Sprouts
 
Ingredients:
 
 
1 Package of Frozen Brussel Sprouts (estimated: a little less than a pound of fresh)
1 Medium Chopped Sweet Onion
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Maple Syrup
2 tsp. Brown Sugar
2 Garlic Cloves Minced
Salt and Pepper to taste 

Instructions:
 
Put brussel sprouts in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and continue to boil until the brussel sprouts are tender, strain and put aside in a serving bowl.
 
In the meantime, in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat, coat the bottom of the saucepan with the olive oil. Throw in the onions and garlic until they are caramelized. Be careful, the garlic will burn if you don't keep an eye on them. If you notice the garlic cooking a bit too fast turn the heat down a bit. Next mix in the maple syrup and brown sugar...stir the mixture until the brown sugar dissolves. Salt and pepper to taste.
 
Pour the maple syrup mixture all over the brussel sprouts and stir until nicely coated.
 
Wah-lah! Your done!

I have added a spoonful or two of leftover cranberry chutney before that was OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD. I often will put a spoonful of tomato pesto that my hubby likes to keep in the frige, that is pretty good as well. So, you can add your flare to this base recipe. I personally think brussel sprouts get a bad name. My children HATED them until I made it this way, now they BEG me to make them. Worth a try right? I THINK SO!!!!
 
Let me know what you think and if you try it!
 

 

1 comment:

Susie @homemaker-mom.com said...

I have never ever cooked this veggie ever before. I recently got a bag of frozen and did not know how to cook it. I will try this! Thanks!